There are many popular video games in the industry, but only a few of them have dominated the world for decades like Final Fantasy has. Its relevance is high to the point that impossible to have a conversation about JRPGs unless you mention at least one of the games in the series.
Whether it’s the innovative gameplay mechanics, heartwarming stories, or the gorgeous art styles – there is rarely a dull moment to be seen. And when there is such consistency in a franchise, it’s no surprise that there is such a large number of games in it. This includes mainline titles, sequels to them, spin-offs, ports, remasters, remakes, and many more.
Naturally, when there are more games in a franchise than what anyone can count – it’s hard to know the proper figure. And thus, everyone wants to know the answer to how many Final Fantasy games are there? Without wasting any time, let’s answer this question for once and for all!
How many Final Fantasy games are there?
Since there are so many categories within Final Fantasy games, it would be confusing to just throw a random number around. So, let’s answer this question with a little bit of detail so that we have a proper understanding of how things work.
However, for those who just want to know a specific number: don’t worry. We’ll count all the way for you too.
How many types of Final Fantasy games are there?
Final Fantasy is arguably one of the most diverse franchises that you’ll ever come across. Unlike in the beginning, the JRPG genre is no longer what defines these games in their entirety. For example, there are third-person shooters, hack ‘n’ slash games, and even racing games in the series. But we can safely categorize these games in these key differences:
- Mainline games – The main video games in the Final Fantasy franchise are those that contain a numerical title.
- Specific universes – Sometimes within a numbered title, a specific universe is established. Then, there are prequels, sequels, and spin-offs within that world. A great example of this is Final Fantasy 7 and Crisis Core
- Spin-offs – These games are released out of order and at any time. The key element is that they play differently or just aren’t a part of the mainline releases
- Mobile Games/Mini-Games – There are some projects in the Final Fantasy series that are not exactly full games. Instead, they serve as either short episodes or just a mini-game taken from the main series. A good example of this is the ChocoboGP’ game for smartphones.
How many mainline Final Fantasy games are there?
If we look strictly at how many Final Fantasy games are there – a good place to start with are the main games. As of 2023, there are a total of 16 mainline Final Fantasy games. These numbered entries serve as a universe of their own, so there are a lot of random projects here and there.
For example, Final Fantasy 7 includes projects like Dirge of Cerberus, Crisis Core, and more. And Final Fantasy X directly had a sequel called Final Fantasy X-2 – which is hardly even a spin-off. But the additional games in the number-based entries do get the spin-off treatment nonetheless.
How many Final Fantasy games are there when including side projects?
This is the true answer to “how many Final Fantasy games are there”, as it includes every single game from the series.
As of 2023, there are approximately 97 Final Fantasy video games in existence. Two of these are upcoming, which are Final Fantasy 16 and Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth respectively. The other 95 are out already and include mainline games, spin-offs, remakes, and a spin-off.
Of course, remasters are not a part of this number as they are technically the same game. And another thing to note is that some very minor games are only available in Japanese, so it’s possible for us to not know about them.
What is the first Final Fantasy game?
Now that we know how many Final Fantasy games there are, you might want to know when the first one came out. The very first Final Fantasy game was originally released in 1987 for the Nintendo Entertainment System, and it did not have an additional subtitle.
Naturally, the game has received many remakes and remasters due to its popularity. Though it has not received a fully 3D remake like Final Fantasy 7, it did get significantly better 2D graphics over time.
As of today, the first Final Fantasy game is even playable on the PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, and PC.
What is the latest Final Fantasy game?
- The latest Final Fantasy game is Final Fantasy 16, which will be coming out on June 22 this year. After that, we’re getting Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth, which will come out in winter 2023. It’s a sequel to 2020’s Final Fantasy 7 Remake instead of a new mainline title in the series.
And we have it. The answer to “how many Final Fantasy games there are” is 97. And only 16 of those are a part of the mainline series. We hope that you found this guide useful. And are already on your way to play some of the best JRPGs that the industry has to offer.
While you’re still here, check also: