The Ashen Chest in Sea of Thieves is one of the most useful aspects of the game. After you spend a couple of hours exploring the deep seas, you will start seeing mentions of the Ashen Keys and chests. It is not immediately made clear what these objects are and how you can use them, even though they are very beneficial for the player.
Worry not, we’re here to make your sailing a bit smoother with our guide for the Ashen Chest in Sea of Thieves. Here’s our detailed explanation for both what the Ashen keys and chests are, and how you can obtain them too. Before any rogue pirates arrive, let’s get right to it!
What is the Ashen Key in Sea of Thieves
The Ashen Key is a special type of key in Sea of Thieves that is used to unlock Ashen Chests. This allows the player to get many different types of rewards as soon as the chests are opened.
Additionally, Ashen Keys are a type of Bilge Rats Treasure that you can sell for 5 Doubloons. And you can also sell them for 10 Doubloons and Reputation to Reaper’s Bones.
So, it’s a very useful resource in the game that you have to always keep an eye out for.
How to get the Ashen Key in Sea of Thieves
There are multiple ways in which you can get Ashen Keys. Here are the best ones:
- If you sink Captain’s Skeleton Ship at the end of a Skeleton Fleet, you get 2 Ashen Keys as a reward
- You can sometimes catch an Ashen Key using a Fishing Rod as Treacherous Plunder when not using Bait
- You get 1 Ashen Key as an Ashen Key Stash Voyage, which you can buy from the Black Market for 99 Doubloons
- There is a low chance that an Ashen Key Master might drop an Ashen Key
- You get 1 Ashen Key as a reward for solving an Ashen Key Master’s Notes quest. Then the Ashen Key Master will drop it, who appears during the Skeleton Fort World Events. It can also happen on Islands as Emergent Skeleton Captain spawns.
- As a part of the time-limited Ashen Key-Seeker Mercenary Voyages, you can dig up an Ashen Key from a Skeleton’s Orders Treasure Map
If you are fine with an approach that requires more technicality, there is one other way. You can find an Emergent Skeleton Captain or Ashen Guardian on an Island and then soft-reset the Island by having the whole crew die (or exit the Island’s Title Card range). The soft-reset might change the Captain or Guardian to a different type, after which you can try to kill them again and they might drop the key.
What is an Ashen Chest in Sea of Thieves
The Ashen Chest in Sea of Thieves is a type of chest that you unlock using an Ashen Key. They are a type of Bilge Rats Treasure that you can sell to the Bilge Rats both locked and unlocked for 5 Doubloons.
Of course, opening them is more beneficial as they contain treasure and at least one random Ashen Tome, which are quite valuable. And other rewards include Doubloons, Gold, Ritual Skull, Magma’s Grail, Devil’s Remnant, Roaring Goblet, and Brimstone Casket. What rewards you get is random, and sometimes you will get more than one Ashen Tome.
They also have an Emissary Value of 540.
How to get an Ashen Chest in Sea of Thieves
The Ashen Chests are in many parts of the game and they are very valuable resources. Here’s where you can find them:
- You get 1 Ashen Chest inside a completed Skeleton Fort Vault
- You get 1 Ashen Chest as a reward for solving an Ashen Guardian’s Notes Quest. Ashen Guardians within Skeleton Fort World Events drop it, and so do Emergent Skeleton Captains on Islands.
- You can sometimes find Ashen Chests on Skeleton Ships
- You can sometimes get Ashen Chests as a reward for defeating a Kraken tentacle
- You get 2 Ashen Chests guaranteed after defeating the Captain Ship of a Skeleton Fleet
- You can sometimes get Ashen Chests by defeating an Ashen Lord
- You can get Ashen Chests as a guaranteed reward for an Ashen Chest Stash Voyage. You can purchase it from the Black Market for either 50 Doubloons or 65,000 Gold
- You can sometimes get Ashen Chests as a reward for defeating a Megalodon
Once you get an Ashen Chest, simply use an Ashen Key to open it. You can sell all of the rewards separately, and then you can sell the chest itself too.
That’s everything that you need to know about the Ashen Chest in Sea of Thieves! From Ashen Keys to Ashen Chests, this is all the knowledge required for you to make the best out of those items.